Thursday 6 February 2014

FASHION PROJECTS - preparing patterns

With my mind on fashion projects for the Spring and Summer, I have now set about preparing some patterns.  I want to make a few blouses (including one in lace), a couple of dresses, a spotty pleated skirt, and some cropped trousers.


Having read other #sewing blogs featuring Sewaholic's "Alma" blouse, I just have to make one!  It's a lovely and versatile pattern with lots of options and no complicated bits.
 



Something which I discovered last year, when I started to re-kindle my interest in making my own clothes, was that my upper body shape doesn't resemble any sewing patterns, unless they are loose fitting.  Until then, I had never heard of a "sway back".  A dress that I made was puffing out at the back with a surplus of fabric.   Waistlines were more in line with the middle of my ribs!  When I did make a dress (which I was proud of), I had to re-draft the bodice from scratch.

So, this year, I plan to carefully adjust the pattern pieces, and make muslin's first.  All this, of course, takes time!  So no quick projects for me I'm afraid.

I have now spent a day copying some pattern pieces, so that I can adjust, and slash away at them, without ruining my original patterns.

I have bought some @Kwik Trace, which I believe I can use for the muslins.  If not,  I will use an old sheet or buy some calico.



This is how I copied my pattern pieces:-

I used some sheets of paper from a flip chart, a tracing wheel, ruler, and marker pen.  All the original pattern pieces were carefully pressed flat with a dry iron.

First of all, I pinned the pattern pieces to the paper.  Then I marked the corners with dots, and drew the matching points with a marker pen.  I traced carefully around the pattern pieces using a tracing wheel to score the paper; also marking adjustment lines, straight of grain, and darts.



Where the pattern had straight lines, I carefully folded back the pattern pieces and joined the dots, before completely removing the pattern.

 
 
Using the marker pen, I drew over the little holes created by the tracing wheel.
 
 



Meanwhile, I practiced being mindfully in the moment (a great way to experience a state of "flow" and avoid mistakes).


 


I shall not cut out the reproduced pattern pieces until I have checked them against my own measurements and made any adjustments.




Although this is a lot of work, I hope that it will prove worthwhile in helping me to achieve a good fit and provide me with adjusted pattern pieces that I will be able to use confidently again in future.

LEARNING POINT :- #Sewing clothes well takes time! + Improving my technical drawing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment