Thursday 30 January 2014

CRAFT PROJECT - Strawberry tea party apron






Do you enjoy baking cakes?  I know I do.  There's something comforting about spending a Sunday afternoon baking...that is, if you're not sewing. 


Well my daughter also enjoys baking too, and has decided to join the Clandestine Cake Club, setting up a local group.  This club is where home baking enthusiasts come together at a local venue  (such as a cafĂ©), bring a cake based on a theme; and then drink tea, eat cake, and share recipes! 

So to mark the occasion of her baking enterprise, I decided to  make an apron on the theme of tea and cakes.

I haven't made an apron before and do not have a pattern.  I drafted my own version using a simple design. 

I bought some fabric entitled "strawberry tea party" along with a contrasting plain colour from Plush Addict -  A feast of fabric "sweeties" to lust over (and I learnt a new word "fabricgasm"!)

A mistake I made was to order half a meter (or two fat quarters).  The problem was that the direction of the pattern and grain of fabric meant that I could not cut out the apron as one piece.  Therefore, I had to adapt my design and insert a mock waist band.

The fabric was backed with a plain white cotton, and edged with matching 2cm bias binding.

 


To make the apron more individual, I added a pocket with a hand appliqued motif from the patterned fabric.......
 
 

                                    
 
 
....... and added the name of the fabric design on an inside seam.




WHAT I LEARNT?  - Order a larger piece of fabric, and buy more bias binding tape (I bought two and a half meters, but actually needed about three).





I will now have to think about making one for myself!  Can you recommend any favourite but practical patterns?

No comments:

Post a Comment