Thursday 27 November 2014

PONCHO - PART 2

PONCHO  PART  2
 
2 Giraffe's grazing on the new spring growth in Kruger Park
 
 
So I have now returned from my holiday in sunny South Africa and feel blessed in having an extended summer this year.  Not only that, but Autumn here in England has been un seasonally warm as well.
 
If you have not read my previous post, then I urge you to do so if you are planning on making a poncho or other Autumn garment in a wool fabric, as there are some important considerations.  Now, I have one more to add - take good care of wool fabrics in your stash - yesterday I discovered that one of my fabrics has a sprinkle of moth holes in it!  You have been warned!
 
Would I make another poncho?  Probably not.  Although it was a useful experience in getting me to face some anxiety about using different fabrics - namely stretchy ones.  If you have the benefit of an overlocker (or serger), then the process is probably less daunting for you.  So why wouldn't I make another?  Firstly, I have since seen some really lovely ones in the shops which are better and nicer than mine., and...secondly, it was impossible for me to neaten the edges using my sewing machine.  So I ended up with what I consider a rather amateur looking edge, in spite of my best attempt at neat hand sewing.
 
My research on the internet led me to a blog post by Mollytov for a cowl neck poncho - so I am indebted to Mollytov for her tutorial and diagram of what to do.  Thank you, Mollytov.
 
Basically, you need a large rectangle of fabric, and cut a hole in the middle for your head!  Mollytov added a cowl neck to hers which was a nice touch.  I refrained from adding a cowl neck to mine because I am sensitive to wool and know that it would bring me out in a rash all over my neck.  I had some grand ideas about using faux fur instead, but as I was a little disappointed with my end product I did not want the additional expense.
 
I changed the dimensions to suit my height etc.  I also wanted to make use of the double sided two tone colours, and decided to make mine lop sided - or should I say, asymmetrical.  
 
I now have a cosy poncho, for wearing on chilly days, and I reckon that I may wear it indoors sometimes as well.
 
I have kept the off cuts of fabric, because my poncho is essentially a large rectangle.  So, when it is no longer very fashionable, I hope to be able to craft it into something else....if I get the hang of handling bulky fabrics that fray!
 
Here is me modelling it.  Not a good picture is it?  I put my camera on a self timer, and I wasn't looking my best. 
 




Modelling my new Poncho (it's November and I still have sweet peas!)
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment