Friday 3 October 2014

FASHION PROJECT - DIY PONCHO - WORK IN PROGRESS

D.I.Y. PONCHO
WORK IN PROGRESS PREVIEW
 
 
 
 
 
What a lovely month September has been.    Gorgeous warm sunny days.  Now that it is turning cooler and darker, my attention is being drawn to thoughts of warmer clothing. I like the trend for casual and comfy wear, especially all the lovely cosy baggy cardies, shawls, and poncho's.
 
For a while now, I have fancied having a go at making a poncho.  The last time I had one  I was about 9 years old - it was multi coloured crochet, complete with tassels and pom poms.
 
This is my "work in progress" report, because I am going on holiday tomorrow, and haven't had time to finish my poncho before I go away.
 
After trawling through the internet for idea's, I made my own pattern.  I will explain the process in more detail in my next post.  It was not complicated and  I am not a pattern drafter! ..but I can figure out something basic, with the help of some flip chart paper, ruler, tape measure, and eye balling it.
 
Just a quick tip though - if, like me, you pre-wash your fabric.  I bought a wool jersey, and washed it on a cool wool wash.  The result was that my 2m of fabric became 1.6m, shrinking a whopping 40cm.  So, either don't wash it first, or buy more fabric than you need.  The fabric was much thicker than I expected (it was before I washed it too), and did not look good when sewn on my machine.  So I decided that I had no choice but to neaten the edges by hand using blanket stitch - hence it looks a bit wobbly, or dare I say, home made?  No, no, no,  couture!...have you ever looked up close at some of the gowns on display at exhibitions - the hand stitching is not always that good either.
 
When I've finished, I will post more details of how it was made.  I may even model it when I've given it a lick with the clothes brush.


No comments:

Post a Comment