Monday 15 September 2014

CRAFT PROJECT - LAVENDER CREATURE COMFORTS


 
THIS IS WHAT I'VE MADE
 


Anyone driving around North Hampshire in July could imagine themselves in Provence!  For some of the fields will be swathed with row upon row of purple lavender.

Personally I love lavender, as the scent takes me back to my childhood, buying lavender bags at summer fetes, and finding them hidden among your clothes.  Last year, I made some lavender bags to hang in my wardrobe using flowers harvested from my garden.  I used organza so that I could see the lavender flowers through the fabric.

This year, being also a lover of anything that is tactile and gives comfort, I wanted to make a few treats for myself.

I found some pretty liberty fabric in the remnant section of my local fabric shop 0.4m for just over £4.00.  The print reflects the colours of the lavender fields, making it the perfect choice.

 

I bought a large bag of dried lavender from a local producer (Long Barn near Winchester).

 

 Long Barn provided Lavender to Jane Packer for her Olympic bouquets in 2012.  I love the calico sack - I may use this to make a little rustic cushion for the conservatory.  The little sack of flowers smelt divine (although when I wafted it for my husband to sniff, anyone would think I had dangled a dead rat in his face, judging by his reaction!).

My plan was to make a lavender neck pillow that I could heat up and drape around my shoulders,





a hot water bottle cover with a pocket for a lavender bag (mini hot water bottle),

 


 and a lavender eye mask.




I researched the internet because I wanted to be able to heat up the neck pillow (like the wheat products you can get).  I discovered that using Linseed is better that wheat because the seeds are smoother and softer, and the high oil content warms up with your body heat.  The recommended ratio of Linseed to Lavender is either 3/4 Linseed and 1/4 Lavender', or 2/3 Linseed and 1/3 Lavender.  The seeds and flowers should not be packed too tight, as you will need to be able to drape the pillow.  Apparently, you can warm them in the oven, but they can catch on fire!  I will warm mine up by draping it over a radiator instead (as I don't trust myself not to forget about it until it's too late).

The neck pillow was first made using some white cotton fabric, and then covered with the liberty print fabric.





The hot water bottle cover was quilted to add extra softness and prevent scalding. 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

As with anything like this, I can always think of ways I would make something different next time.  For example, I would make the neck pillow slightly longer, and remember to turn the inner pillow inside out before stitching the dividing seam sections!

My next plan is to make some little hand warmers for chilly days ahead.

Feeling cozy......

No comments:

Post a Comment