Thursday 13 February 2014

FASHION PROJECT - Red skirt

One of the things that I enjoy is to browse the fashion trends in advance, in order to plan what I want to buy or make for the next season.  I especially like following Vogue on line to view their photo' galleries from the catwalk shows.  Back in the Autumn, the colour red, was hailed as one of the colours to wear over the autumn and winter season.  I love to wear bright colours, especially in the winter to brighten up a dull day and, I do like red!  Red is a nice, warm, Christmassy colour.   Red goes well with black, cream, and camel, and can be worn as a bold colour statement or as an accent colour.
 
You may recall some women's magazines used to include a free sewing pattern, one of them being "Essentials" magazine.  I have a pattern which I think dates back to the mid 90's for a wrap look skirt. 
 
 
 
 
My choice was view 3 (below).
 
 
 
 
 
 
The sewing instructions are easy to follow, with clear step by step pictures in colour.
 
 
 
 
 
The pattern pieces were copied on to dress makers tracing paper so as not to spoil the original pattern.  I did not need to make any alterations.
 
I chose a red crepe fabric from Craftswoman fabrics which is a lovely cherry red colour.  It appears more tomato red in the photographs.
 


 
 
The skirt is unlined and was very easy to make with only three pattern pieces.  The wrap over style is just for effect, so there's no risk of it gaping open.  I added fabric covered buttons which I made using the same fabric as the skirt. 
 
 
 I enjoy hand sewing and so top stitched the area around the buttons by hand, and the zip and hem were also hand sewn.  This I do while relaxing in front of the television of an evening.
 
 
 The skirt has a high waist, with no waist band, and so looks best with blouses tucked in to show off the waist and button detailing.  It has proven to be a very comfortable skirt and ideal for a day at work.  I have been wearing it mostly with either a cream blouse, or black tops, black tights and black patent shoes. 
 
I will enjoy wearing this skirt for years to come and I shall be wearing it on Valentines day. 

I look forward to making some more versions.
 
(My plan is to start posting pictures of me modelling my clothes as with other blogs, dependent on my husband being around in the day time when it's not dark).

No comments:

Post a Comment