Tuesday 11 February 2014

INSPIRATION - Mary Quant

As it's Mary Quant's birthday today, I decided on a short post to acknowledge her place in the history of fashion.

Mary is attributed for the mini skirt which has remained a timeless classic ever since it's debut in the 1960's.  Apparently it came from a celebration of women's new found liberty, and to enable them to run for the bus!



Do you remember "hot pants"?  This is something else we can thank Mary for.  When these came out, most of the girls in my school either had a pair, or wanted them.  Mine were navy blue crimpline (mmm, nice!).

Here is Mary Hopkins modelling the mini. Those were the days my friends!



 

 

 

Bye the way I won't be making a mini skirt or hot pants - my legs are best left covered up.  

I plan to make a spotty pleated skirt, having been inspired by my recent Boden catalogue.




My next post on Thursday will be about another skirt that I made recently.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment