Thursday 10 April 2014

FASHION PROJECT - Holiday dress with orchids on.

If you like flowers and plants, you may know that this weekend see's the Royal Horticultural Society's Orchid and Botanical Art Show in London.  So, what better time than to share my "orchid dress".

 
 
My first attempt at this dress was 7 years ago, when I decided to dust off my sewing machine and have a go at making some clothes.  The problem was that I had not done any dress making for years, and naively cut out my pattern size without checking my measurements....and guess what? The bodice didn't fit at all!  Feeling disappointed, the unmade dress went into the stash pile, with the intention of trying to make it again when I was feeling more confident.
 
Recently, I fell in love with Kate Spades collection using a summery print with lemons on!  It reminded me of my orchid fabric hidden in my stash pile because of the bright colours contrast against the white. 
 
 
 I  made the dress using the same pattern as before - Butterick B4443, view C.  I believe this is a popular pattern for making bridesmaids dresses.
 
 
I re-drafted the bodice, and made a toile first, which seemed to fit quite well.  

 
Close up view of bodice
 
 

 
Front of dress with belt tied at the back

The changes that I made were to back the fabric instead of lining it (because my fabric was a fine lawn and fairly transparent), and to increase the length of the belt.  I used a contrasting colour for the belt, which slightly clashes but I think adds a bit of zing!
 
 
 
 
 
Rear view of the dress

 
Front view with belt tied at the front

 After recently reading Handmade Jane's post on adding a waist stay, I decided to add this too - I just need to add the fasteners when I next get a chance to visit my local sewing supplier.

 

Waist stay 


 On the day I took the pictures I wasn't feeling well, with a cold and a red nose.  Hence the dummy is my substitute model.  The dress fits well though, and I am looking forward to wearing it.

WHAT I LEARNT

That when I cut out the skirt all those years ago, I failed to notice that I had cut the back pattern pieces upside down - oops!  I don't think that it is too obvious though.

WHAT I WOULD DO DIFFERENTLY NEXT TIME

As the skirt is circular, the hem is quite tricky, and more so having been backed,  creating unnecessary bulk at the hemline.  Instead, I would opt for a full dress length lining instead.


Dreaming of balmy warm sunny mediteranean days, with a cool limoncello.  Imagining myself perched at a table overlooking the sea, wearing my dress and  new white wedges.  La dolce vita!

Have a good weekend folks!  I am off to Lymington in Hampshire to visit my (grown up) children before Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment