Saturday 19 April 2014

A SNIP - SHRUG EASTER WEEKEND PROJECT

 
 
It's Easter Saturday, and as I write, the sun is shining.  Today, I am going to write about something a little different - how I made a simple and cheap shrug bought from a supermarket, into something a bit more special.
 
For a long time, I have been looking for a lightweight, white cotton cardigan or shrug, to wear with a few favourite sleeveless summer dresses.  In the past, I used to be able to buy pretty little cotton lace knitted cardigans in M&S, that went with everything, but they don't do them anymore.  Most of what I find nowadays is in ivory, not white.
 
Well, I happened to be doing my weekly shop, and came across a little lightweight shrug, in white with scalloped edges, and made from 80% cotton, 20% nylon.  A snip at £8.00 (made in Cambodia).  Perfect!  I only hope that the people who made this garment were paid fairly. 
 
I was reminded of little cardigans in the medium price range market (about £50 - £60), that have been embellished with lace (as is the current trend). 
 
I have an old biscuit tin, with scraps of lace.
 



I raided my tin, and found some cotton lace that was the perfect width (about an inch wide), that was scalloped along one edge, mirroring the scalloped edges of the shrug.
 
 
 
This was a simple transformation.  I simply pinned the lace around the edges
 


 
 
..and stitched in place using the stretch stitch on my sewing machine.  The ends were finished by hand sewing, turning under the edges to prevent fraying.  Then pressed. 
 
 
 
 
 
I am pleased with the results, and look forward to wearing it with my favourite summer dresses. 
 

 

 
 
Right now, the supermarket in question has 25% off all clothing, so you could get hold of the same shrug for a mere £6.00.
 
Lovely!
 
And now for something not sewing related.  Here is a picture of my Easter Simnel cake. 
 
 
 
I used a favourite recipe from a book - Glorious Cakes by Ann Nicol.  I decorated the top with lightly toasted marzipan (toast the top of the cake, then add the balls of marzipan using egg white as glue and toast lightly).  When the marzipan had cooled, I put a puddle of glace icing in the centre, and decorated with crystalised violets and a primrose from my garden.
 
 
 
Have a wonderful Easter everyone!
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment