Thursday 13 March 2014

FASHION PROJECT - Recreating a favourite dress - part one.

I have a dress that I have worn a lot because I love it and it makes me feel good because it is a "happy" dress.  It is the kind of dress that can be worn from Autumn through to Spring.  Every time I wear it I receive complements.  I then wash it straight away in order that I can wear it again. The trouble is, that it is now getting shabby from being worn so much.  I have searched the pattern catalogues for a matching pattern in order to reproduce it but, alas, to no avail.  (sad face).

Do you have clothes in your wardrobe that, when you wear them, you always receive complements?  Is this a sure sign that that the garment looks good on you?


Here is my original dress.

 
(sorry about my gardening shoes in the background!)








The solution - to try and reproduce the dress myself, by copying it.  After all, this is what people used to do "in the old days" when it was the norm to make your own clothing.

I have never done this before.  However, the dress is a simple but flattering shape, with no complicated pleats or gathers anywhere, so I figured that I would be able to work something out.


The good news is that it worked.  I now have my #pattern as well, so I can make it as many times as I want.

My new dress.
 
 
 
 
 
The dress is made from Satin.  The original was silk satin, but my lower budget version was in polyester satin with a polyester gorgette lining.  I made my own bias binding for the neckline.  This is a fabulously comfortable dress to wear and can be layered.  The lining adds weight to the dress, so that it can be dried on a hanger with no need for ironing.




I bought the fabric from Craftswoman fabrics. I do not usually like animal print fabrics, but I thought this looked gorgeous in sapphire blue.  I'm in the process of making another one for Spring, and will post this soon.

In my next post, I will share how I copied the pattern.  I worked this process out myself and so my techniques may not be the same as the professionals - the important thing is that it worked.

Do you have clothes that become favourites too?

No comments:

Post a Comment